Re: Font warlocks: anomalous behaviour of font options [MADDER STILL!]

All:

More madness!  For those who just came in ...

> I downloaded a set of the Apple Garamond typeface family from one of
those
> Mac grab-bag sites:  [...]
>
> These TrueType fonts installed okay in the c:\WINNT\Fonts\ folder and
when
> double-clicked display the specimen sheet, which can be printed okay.
But
> they don't show up in the Word font list.
>
> They do show up in the FrameMaker font list but applying them produces
> anomalous behaviour.  [...]
>
> However, I actually get THESE choices in the different fields:
>
> FAMILY*              ANGLE*   WEIGHT* VAR.*
>
> Apple Garamond       Regular  Regular Regular
> Apple Garamond Light Italic   Bold
>                      Obliqued Bolded
>
> (Note the Italic-Obliqued and Bold-Bolded synonyms.)  This means I get
TWO
> ways of displaying Apple Garamond Book on screen, but only ONE of them
also
> PRINTS as Apple Garamond Book!
>
> [...]
>
> Does anybody know why this madness is occurring?  Can it be fixed?  That
> is, are there any font-twiddling tools out there that can fix this kind
of
> problem for FrameMaker?

I happened to have the type specimen sheets open while I was experimenting
with FrameMaker.  I closed all the specimen sheets to reduce screen clutter
and -- presto! -- the text samples lost their Apple Garamond appearance and
reverted to the default font FrameMaker uses when it cannnot find a font.
Weird!  So I reopened the specimens sheets and pressed Ctrl-l in FrameMaker
-- and all the font characteristics came back.  Weirder!

STOP PRESS!  All the fonts are incorporated into a PDF and display
correctly -- except that the two methods of obtaining Book both display a
slightly different WEIGHT -- that based on Garamond Light Bold is
marginally lighter than that based on Garamond Regular.  When you look up
the (embedded) font info in the PDF file you get:

  AppleGaramond
  AppleGaramond,Italic
  AppleGaramond,Bold
  AppleGaramond,BoldItalic
  AppleGaramondLight
  AppleGaramondLight,Italic

(Word doesn't show the Apple Garamond fonts in its font list whether the
specimens are open or not.)

So, if anybody can tell me how to get these fonts to show up in both Word
and FrameMaker, and with the specimen sheets closed, AND with sensible FM
Para Designer field values, I will be not only astounded but also grateful!

[Windows 2000, FrameMaker 6.0p405, FrameScript 1.27C01, Enhance 2.03,
Acrobat 4.05.2, mif2go 31u33, WebWorks Publisher 7.0, IXgen 5.5.h, HTML
Help Workshop 4.74 build 8702.0, HTML Help 1.31]

Regards,
Hedley

P.S.  A special thank you to TextPad for its wonderful block select,
delete, and insert mode, and for regular expressions!

--
Subscribe to Free Framers -- send this message
      subscribe framers your@email.address

Hedley Finger
Adobe Certified Expert, FrameMaker 5.5.x
Technical Communications/Best Practice Mentor
MYOB Australia Pty Ltd  <http://www.myob.com.au>
P.O. box 371   Blackburn VIC 3130   Australia
12 Wesley Court   Tally Ho Business Park   East Burwood 3151   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9222 9992 x 7421  Fax. +61 3 9222 9880  Mob. +61 412 461 558
<mailto:hedley_finger@myob.com.au>