RE: Formatting captions with figure/table number

No, put the tab after 'Table' and before the number: solves all problems. This
seems to work better with a space after the tab for some reason:

 	Table\t <$chapnum>-<n+>\t

(NB R-aligned tab must align on '-' not '.'.)

However, personally I use an en space before the number and an em space after
it:

 	Table\sn<$chapnum>-<n+>\sm

EJP