Re: Conditions for cross references

 *** REPLY POSTED to sender AND ON framers@omsys.com ONLY ***

"Sachs, Baruch" wrote:

>   I want to have two colors for my crossreferences, plain black for printed
> manuals, and colored for PDFs. I know I can do this with conditonal text,
> but just want to know if anyone has any success with another, hopefully
> easier way?
>
> thanks,
> baruch

Baruch,

You can also define the cross-reference format to use a character tag to
supply the coloration
(as in an Xref definition like "<XREF_COLOR>See <$paratext> on page
<$pagenum></>" )

where <XREF_COLOR> is the character tag, and </> is the reset to the
default paragraph font.

and have two extremely simple files, that only have the XREF_COLOR tag
defined: one where is it black, and one where it is some other color,
such as blue (and maybe underlined as well to look like a classic
hypertext link).

Then, you just import the appropriate character tag to all files
immediately before generating your output: PS files for printing, or PS
-> PDF for online viewing.

I don't know if this qualifies as "another, hopefully easier" way, but
does avoid many of the issues with conditional text, especially updating
references (does NOT happen for hidden conditional text).

-- Lester
 Lester C. Smalley              | email: lsmalley@infocon.com
 Information Consultants, Inc.  | phone: (302) 239-2942
 Hockessin, DE  USA  19707-0310 | fax:   (302) 239-1712