Re: Privatization of the commons considered harmful.

Change nothing. People who cross-post... will.
Almost necessarily, they will be members of FF,
and therefore few in number. We don't risk high
volume here unless/until we get hordes of new
subscribers. How many people can post to FF
who are not subscribed to FF?

As for those on FF who grumble about the odd
post from FU (heh, love that acronym, don't U?),
they do know how to use the filter functions of
their mail readers, don't they? It's trivial to
move/delete all incoming messages that have
"framers@frameusers.com" in their headers.

What's the big deal?  As near as I can tell:

a) if everybody on FF were to crosspost all
   their messages, that would still be a small
   fraction of the volume on FU;

b) there's been no sudden incentive for increased
   cross-posts, has there? -- so, there's no reason
   to expect the quiet ones from this list to
   suddenly embark on a flurry of cross-posting,
   is there?

Sounds like an enormous, gigantic, gargantuan...
non-issue.

Let sleeping grumps lie.
:-)

/kevin

On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 14:01, Jeremy H. Griffith wrote:
[snip]

> 3. Subbed only to Free Framers.  Well, if everyone on both
> lists cross-posted to FF, it would have the same large
> volume as FU, now wouldn't it?  That could drive away the
> folks who want *low* volume, including a lot of my friends.
> So if only the smaller group that already belonged to both
> lists, and therefore *can* cross-post, did so, maybe volume
> would not be too high, and we'd get useful bits on FF from
> FU.  This is your view, right?
>
> Well, we've done that for a while, because it was my view
> too.  But there's a problem.  You only get half or less
> of the content of each thread, and you can get in trouble
> from that.  For example, someone poses an issue on FU, an
> F2 member (FF + FU) replies with Idea A, which is cross-
> posted.  An FU member then replies, on FU only, that the
> idea is flawed and proposes a fix.  The original poster,
> also an FU member, confirms that the fix works.  Fine on
> FU, but on FF all we have is a broken piece, and a silent
> thread, so Idea A must have worked, why won't it work for
> me?  Can lead to traumatic hair loss, that.  ;-)  And it's
> not theoretical; that very sequence played out on a thread
> I was watching recently.  Hopefully nobody on FF depended
> on the bits they saw... but who knows?  It's risky.
>
> Hence, my present idea of mostly not to cross-post.  Keep
> the threads together, you can always look in the archive
> of the other list... where you'll find the *whole* story.
> But then, we're depriving FF folks of what good they *can*
> get out of the shards flung over the wall from FU.  We
> just can't win.  One size doesn't fit all...  Ideally, we
> could come up with a way to let people choose individually
> just what posts to get, and maybe set a limit to how many.
> This is part of the job that the Digest does so poorly...
>
> Any ideas of the best way out of this swamp?  ;-)
>

> -- Jeremy H. Griffith, Free Framers list admin
>    <jeremy@omsys.com>
> ** To subscribe to Free Framers, email the message **
> ** body "subscribe framers" to majordomo@omsys.com **

Kevin McLauchlan
Chrysalis-ITS, Inc.
"Ultimate Trust(TM)"