Re: HTML to FrameMaker Converter

Eric Thomas wrote:

>Is there a decent utility to convert multiple HTML files into FrameMaker?
>I have a substantial number of HTML files (well over 2000) that I'm
>considering moving into FrameMaker .... The less
>reformatting I need to do, the happier I'll be.

If the HTML in question qualifies as well-formatted XML, or can be made so
with minimum effort (HTML Tidy should work unless the files are tag soup),
you could use a XSLT stylesheet to transform to MIF and then into Frame.

Given the amount of effort that translating 2000 files is going to take,
no
matter what you do, this is probably the best way to go. Your transform
sheet
can add paragraph & character formats, page setup, and everything else.
All
your effort is up front and once you have it right, the actual conversion
and
import should be almost painless.

A remote possibility -- if you have Frame+SGML, and the HTML files are
valid
SGML and have no tables, you could write up an EDD and import the files
directly.

It probably doesn't qualify as a "decent utility," but there's some old
Unix
code floating around that will more-or-less do the job.
        ftp://ftp.w3.org/pub/contrib/html2mif-19950714.tar.gz
I can't remember whether it handles tables; I think it doesn't. OTOH, I
think
it's a little more tolerant of tag soup than the other suggestions. You'll
almost
certainly want to import your own paragraph & character formats into the
documents this thing creates. :-P

--
Larry Kollar, Senior Technical Writer, ARRIS
"Content creators are the engine that drives