Re: Special characters (up arrow, down arrow, etc.) losing bold attri bute when underlined

Jane:
We're dealing with two different bugs here. One of the bugs exists in both
FM 5.5 and FM6.0, and the other,exists only in FM 6.0.

1. The first bug (present in both FM versions) involves the failure to
produce the correct Symbol font character in the bookmarks. For example,
the arrowdown character in the symbol font corresponds to the oslash
character in the standard character set, and the oslash character rather
than the arrowdown character appears in the bookmark. You will also note
that, in the online PDF manual, "FrameMaker Character Sets (Windows)" the
symbols indicated for the symbol and dingbats character sets, the wrong
symbol (oslash) also appears next to the arrowdown character. Amazing,
isn't it, that Adobe, the alleged font experts, can't even resolve this
problem in their own documentation.

I seem to recall Shlomo Peretz identifying this bug, and he may have a
workaround for it. His URL is:

http://www.microtype.com/

2. The second bug exists only in FM 6.0, where a character tag specifies
the Symbol font with Underline set to "As is". In this case, when you
insert a character using the Symbol font into a paragraph where Underline
is turned on,  the underline under the character using the Symbol character
tag is there (very lightly) and is above the underline for the
non-Symbol-font characters in the same line. Note that this bug occurs
whether you insert the Symbol character as a variable, or simply type the
character in and then apply the Symbol character tag to it.

There is a workaround for this second bug, however. In the Paragraph tag
for paragraph tags having Underlined turned on, change it to Numeric
Underline. With this change, the anomaly goes away (i.e., the underline for
the Symbol character matches the underline for the non-symbol characters in
the same line.

At 09:28 AM 12/27/01 -0500, Jane Post wrote:
>Using: FrameMaker 6.0/Acrobat 4.0
>I'm experiencing two problems when trying to insert a special character. The
>special characters (up arrow, down arrow, etc.) aredefined as a variable.
>All attributes are set to 'As Is' in the character tag except for the font
>which is either Symbol or Wingdings. These special characters can appear in
>Body text, headings, or code; therefore, I need the point size to adjust as
>needed when the character is tagged.
>Problem 1: I have a heading3 for which both Bold and Underline are selected
>in the Paragraph Designer. When the special character is inserted, the bold
>underline is replaced with an unbolded underline for just that
>character--the rest of the heading appears as it should with the bolded
>underline.
>
>Problem 2: When I create a .PDF file, the special characters are replaced
>with the Symbol or Wingding graphic representation (the same symbol
>displayed once the variable is defined and saved) when displayed in the
>Bookmark tab.
>Is there a way to correct these problems?? I don't want the underline to run
>the width of the page so using a set length as with 'underline' for the
>Below Pgf setting (Advanced tab) won't work.
>TIA
>

>Happy Holidays!!!
>
>Jane E. Post
>jane@asconline.com

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
177 Riverside Ave., STE F, #1151, Newport Beach, CA 92663