Re: FM+SGML: Conditions and attributes?

I concede that Dan Emory's approach would give the most versatile solution. It
would also give you conditional text identical to FMs current usage with a
plugin/script.
I still think that from a structure/SGML point of view that the conditional text
shouldn't be spanning multiple elements. (and I'm wondering how frame would
display such a case. Guess I'll have to try it.) Perhaps a combination of the
two. Identify those elements that should be conditionalised only in their
entirety and those that contain text that may need partial conditionalisation.
Then allow the use of the CondStart/CondEnd elements in the partial case and add
an attribute in the entire case.
I would strongly recommend against an element with an <ANY> setting as per John
Root's suggestion. Overly permissive elements are just an invitation for
disaster and abuse once the end users start playing with your DTD/EDD. You'll
end up with creative workarounds to get invalid elements into strange unforeseen
places.

Eric L. Dunn