RE: Figure numbering out of sequence with floating anchored frames

Unfortunately, Dan, the behavior you describe for the "Floating"
option is *not* how FrameMaker behaves. In fact, it appears that
you are describing almost the exact opposite of what happens.
When you set the Start attribute of a table to Floating, it means
that the table can "float away" from its anchor. If the table cannot
fit on the page where the anchor symbol is located, the *table only*
will "float downward" to the next page or column while the anchor ]
does not move. The text that follows the anchor symbol, in turn,
"floats upward" to fill the space that is left at the bottom of the
page where the table can't fit. This appears to match your description
of what happens when Float is *not* selected.

And because of this problem with your definition of "floating", your
categorical assertion of 11/19 that Esmond was "absolutely wrong"
about your method defeating the "Float" function is simply incorrect.
Your method *does* lose the "Float" function because the table can
never float away from the anchor symbol.

BTW, I do agree with you that using an empty paragraph to hold the
table anchor is generally a good approach.  But this approach does
*not* work when you legitimately need to use the Float function as
it really works because you get extra line space (whatever line
spacing and space before/after you set for the anchor paragraph)
in the location where the table would fall if it could fit on that page.
This extra space becomes visible because the "Float" selection
allows FrameMaker to fill the space following the anchor with
paragraphs that would otherwise follow the table, and you see the
additional space before the text that floated upward.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred.ridder@intel.com)
Senior Publishing System Analyst
Intel Corporation
Telecommunications and Embedded Group