RE: IntelliMouse Wheel not working

Peter Boyd [mailto:pboyd@eagleinvsys.com] wrote:
> I had this problem before and recently had my computer rebuilt. The
> mouse wheel does not scroll in FrameMaker. It works fine in Office
> applications. I am using Win 2000 Enterprise.
>
> I forgot how I fixed this problem last time. Does anyone have a
> clue?

Dov has already given the "official answer", of downloading and
installing the latest Microsoft mouse driver. It is a good first step
because it is a course of action that seems to work in most cases, but
not all.

It is also well worth checking that you have the latest supported
video driver for your system. The Mouse and video drivers for MS
Windows do seem able to interact strangely, in both directions.

If your problem persists once you have the recommended video driver,
also try reducing the level of hardware acceleration. Different
manufacturers may use different names and locations for the controls
but start with the Advanced button on the Settings tabs of the Display
Properties control panel, then look for troubleshooting or hardware
acceleration controls.

-

If you still don't see an improvement, another trick worth trying --
after reading all this -- is to download and use the Logitech driver
(effectively on top of the MS driver, I guess). Even though the Mouse
Control Panel / Properties may not then offer wheel options, the
middle button / wheel still functions for both wheel and "middle-click
and mouse movement" scrolling, with what I think are the default
settings.

I say the "default settings" because you can assign different
functions to all buttons so, for example, you can have the middle
button click configured to perform a paste or be limited to vertical
or horizontal scrolling. Compared to the MS Intellimouse control
panel, you lose the ability to disable wheel scrolling for individual
applications but the choice of functions may offer a workable
compromise. If you try this, start with button 2 set to the function
"Auto Scroll" or "Middle Button" then experiment.

My recollection of my tests is as follows.

Auto Scroll function:
  Wheel and "middle-click and mouse movement" scroll both OK in
    MS Office, Internet Explorer, and emacs 20.4
  "middle-click and mouse movement" scroll in FM 6
    (No wheel scroll, but also no corrupt screen display)

Middle button function:
  Wheel scroll OK in MS Office
  "middle-click and mouse movement" scroll OK but different (with
    a jump into the vertical scroll bar) in MS Office
  middle button/wheel ignored in FM 6
  middle button/wheel acted as mouse paste (mouse-yank-at-click,
    for purists) in emacs 20.4

NOTE: I won't _recommend_ using the Logitech driver, because I'm not
sure that it is allowed if you don't have a Logitech mouse -- I can't
check because my Web access is next to non-existent just now. Also, I
don't know that it will help in all circumstances and when I tried it,
there was a period during Windows start-up where the MS mouse behaved
strangely (as if a button was held down) before behaving normally.

On the positive side, it is a reasonable thing to try as a
temporary diagnostic and both Windows 2000 and the Logitech software
are good at allowing you to back out of the changes.

I will recommend the Logitech support pages as having good tips for
troubleshooting mouse problems, provided that you recognise what is
specific to Logitech devices and what is general.

-

Good luck.

Regards,
David
--
David Williams, Technical Author
Working for, but not speaking for, Amino Communications Limited