Subject: Re: Distinguishing Text Insets
Author:  jeremy (jeremy@omsys.com) at internet
Date:    23/10/01 10:30

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:06:28 -0700, "Lynne A. Price"
<lprice@txstruct.com> wrote:

>At 03:25 AM 10/23/01 GMT, Jeremy wrote:
>>Lynne wrote:
>>>  Warning: if you update text insets, the condition tag
>>>is discarded so you need to reapply.
>>
>>Didn't know that.  Thanks!
>
>  You are quite welcome. I just encountered this situation fairly
>recently. It sort of makes sense--updating a text inset produces the
>same result as deleting and reinserting the text inset and, of course,
>that approach would not preserve the condition tag.

Yes, it makes sense, and it is not good news.  In fact,
it pretty much prevents the use of conditions within a
container document to select among components that are
being maintained as insets.  This forces one container
doc for every variation in usage, which can require lots
of containers...

Unless, that is, some clever FDK hacker felt like making
a utility that recorded and restored condition settings
around inset updates.  A bit like the TOC-line-break tool,
perhaps.  Or maybe just a smarter update replacement...
that *did* preserve conditions.

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/