Re: MIF/platform conversion problems

> My understanding, confirmed by our distinguished member from Australia, was
> that MIF files were transportable across versions and platforms, yet
> neither of these PC users can open my files in older versions.  Has anyone
> else had this problem?  Any advice on how to overcome it?

This is due to the pretty brain-dead association between file
extensions and applications in Windows. You won't see these
problems on a Mac, which use a different system to associate
files with applications.

Apparently your coworkers are double-clicking the MIF files
and they open up in the wrong application. They either have
to "remap" the MIF file extension to FrameMaker, or open
the MIF files from within FrameMaker. Tell them to select
a MIF file, press Shift, right-click and select Open With.
In the dialog, select FrameMaker 5.5.x and turn on "always
use this application ...".