RE: Character Formats in Cross-References

You could use the character format within the cross reference definition.
Then, however, you won't catch a format change within the referenced text.

E.g. a cross reference format such as "See <Emphasis><$ParaText>" would
result in

"See ACME Widgets"
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^=Emphasis
but not in
"See ACME Widgets"
     ^^^^=Emphasis

[The variable syntax may differ depending on the FrameMaker language
version.]

If the cross reference would inherit the referenced text's formatting you'd
also get something like a sans-serif cross reference with 14 pt font size
within your serif 12 pt body text when referencing to a 14 pt sans-serif
heading. I suppose that's why all formatting is stripped.

Regards
Rainer