RE: Character Formats in Cross-References

The point is that the text should not inherit anything but the chartag name, and so the definition of that chartag within the document would become operative. If <Emphasis> is defined as bold in the target doc of the xref, that's what it should do in that document, regardless of what context the chartag is coming from.

Craig
Los Jugadores Bazutadores.

>>> "Jochim, Rainer 3139 PPE-QA2" <Rainer.Jochim@de.heidelberg.com> 09/25/01 10:37AM >>>
You could use the character format within the cross reference definition.
Then, however, you won't catch a format change within the referenced text.

E.g. a cross reference format such as "See <Emphasis><$ParaText>" would
result in

"See ACME Widgets"
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^=Emphasis
but not in
"See ACME Widgets"
     ^^^^=Emphasis

[The variable syntax may differ depending on the FrameMaker language
version.]

If the cross reference would inherit the referenced text's formatting you'd
also get something like a sans-serif cross reference with 14 pt font size
within your serif 12 pt body text when referencing to a 14 pt sans-serif
heading. I suppose that's why all formatting is stripped.

Regards
Rainer