Re: FrameMaker special spaces appear as squares in Acrobat bookmarks

Hi.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dov Isaacs" <isaacs@Adobe.COM>
To: "Peter Gold" <peter@HighSoft.com>
Cc: "Framers List" <framers@FrameUsers.com>; <framers@FrameUsers.com>;
<framers@omsys.com>; <pdf@lists.pdfzone.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 4:15 AM
Subject: Re: FrameMaker special spaces appear as squares in Acrobat
bookmarks

> The bug is in FrameMaker which should be filtering out it's own
> control characters from the output stream for PDFMark. Acrobat 5
> allows arbitrary characters in the bookmarks, including Unicode (although
> that is NOT supported from FrameMaker).
Dov, it is not true yet.
When FrameMaker (any version) generates the Bookmarks from CJK text it
always puts text into PDFMark fields in Unicode (!).
Say, if we generate PDF from Russian/Japanese FM document we found the next
inside PS/PDF for Russian "abcdef":
[/Dest/G999291/Title<FEFF04300431043204330434043504510436043704380439...044D
044E044F>/OUT FmPD2
contrary to the same text in Russian/Sweden FM document:
[/Dest/G999291/Title(\340\341\342\343\344\345\270\346\347\350\351 ...
\374\306\330)/OUT FmPD2

I don't understand why FM does not do it for Roman text and does it very
strange in simple Acrobat encoding (I mean my previous post about encoding
scheme is very different in PDF Bookmark compare to main document).

And I just want to remind all that most CJK encoding have included also
Modern Greek (SJIS, TChinese) and Cyrillic (SJIS).
Once again that is only way to get the valid Unicode encoding in output
XML/HTML and PDF Bookmark from FrameMaker's Modern Greek and Cyrillic
documents. :-).
Some time ago I wrote to Lee in this list about "how idiotic is the way to
get valid Unicode for Cyrillic and Greek FM documents".. It was exactly
about this.
Lee answered led this for me to mean that is very ease to support most
Near-and-Eastern European languages in future version of FM without Unicode.
I distrust this Non-Unicode way is effective and without errors.

At least I must ask Adobe to fix FM different encoding in Bookmark and main
document. It's a bug.

Regards,
Dm.

> Unfortunately, when FrameMaker
> generates the PDFMark code for the output PostScript stream, it simply
> dumps all of its characters, including what normally would be considered
> non-printing control characters. And those control characters are
considered
> undefined characters and the system fonts used by Acrobat to display same
> display exactly what they are supposed to, the "notdef" character which is
> defined as a box. I believe that Shlomo Perets (MicroType) has a
workaround
> with his Timesavers package that eliminates those nasty boxes.
>
>         - Dov
>
> At 8/6/2001 04:41 PM, Peter Gold wrote:
> >Hi, all:
> >
> >This is cross-posted to framers@FrameUsers.com, framers@omsys.com, and
pdf@lists.pdfzone.com.

> >Here's is the problem:
> >
> >In FM 5.5.x or 6.0, if a FM paragraph format uses special spaces (em
space, en space, non-breaking space, etc.) in its auto-numbering format,
distilling with Acrobat 5 Distiller, whether by printing to Acrobat
Distiller printer driver and Distilling the .ps file, or with File > Save As
> PDF creates square characters in the bookmarks for these numbered
paragraph formats. This does not happen with Distiller 4.x, from FM 5.5.x,
or FM 6.x. It happens on W98 and WNT.

> >On W98, using PostScript Printer Driver Version 4.5.1; ADOBEPS4.DRV,
ADIST5.PPD.

> >Here are the steps to recreate the problem:
> >
> >*** Begin steps:
> >
> >* In FrameMaker 5.5.x or 6.x, create a new file with File > New > Blank
Paper > Portrait. Save it.

> >* Use Format > Paragraphs > Designer to revise the paragraph
autonumbering format for the Numbered paragraph format from <n+>.\t, to
Testing\sm<n+>\smtesting\sm.

> >* In the document, type some body paragraphs intermixed with Numbered
paragraphs. Save the file.

> >* Do File > Save As > Adobe PDF (or File > Print > Acrobat Distiller
Printer Driver > Print to File.) Set up the Numbered paragraph tag to be
extracted for bookmarks.

> >* Open the pdf document in Acrobat and look at the bookmarks. If
distilled with Distiller 4.x, no problem. If distilled with Distiller 5.x,
the \sm (em spaces) appear a squares.

> >It looks like a bug to me, in Distiller 5.x, as the problem is there when
converting both FM 5.5.x and 6.x source files with Acrobat Distiller 5.x.

> >These workarounds don't fix the problem, just avoid it:
> >
> >* Uninstall Acrobat 5 and reinstall Acrobat 4, to use the Acrobat 4
Distiller.

> >* Replace the special spaces with tabs and use tab stops. (See "not a
good option," next.)

> >* Replace the special spaces with plain spaces (not a good option for
paragraphs used as headings in TOC and index, as the non-breaking spaces
keep the numbers and text together when headings wrap around in TOC or