Re: SGML fragments imported by reference problems - more details

In FrameMaker 6.0, I created the EDD below, which exactly replicates the
structure you described:
EDD Version is 6.0
Automatically create formats on import.

Element (Container): Document
General rule:   Section+
Valid as the highest-level element.

Element (Container): Section
General rule:   Title, Para+
Automatic insertions
Automatically insert child:     Title

Element (Container): Title
General rule:   <TEXT>
Automatic insertions
Automatically insert child:     Para
Text format rules
Element paragraph format: Title
If context is: { first }< Document
Numbering properties
Autonumber format: <n=1>.
Else
Numbering properties
Autonumber format: <n+>.

Element (Container): Para
General rule:   <TEXT>
Valid as the highest-level element.
Text format rules
Element paragraph format: Body

I then imported the element definitions from the EDD above into a "Target
Document" file and a "Fragment" file. In the target document, I duplicated
the target document you described. In the Fragment document, I created a
fragment containing a single Para element, as you described, and inserted
it under the Title element for Section 2.

In order to begin a fragment with a Para element, the Para element was
declared to be Valid at the Highest Level in the EDD.

Below is the resulting Target Document that was produced. As you can see,
everything is as it should be, thus I cannot duplicate the anomaly you
describe.
===================================

1. Title element for the First Section of the Main, or Target document,
which begins with a Document element

This is a Para element after the Title element for Section 1. It is not a
text inset.

2. Title element for the Second Section, containing the text inset

This is the text inset  Para element under Section 2. It is in a separate
file named "Fragment" and was imported by reference from the Fragment file
into the Target Document file. Because the EDD declares the Para element to
be valid at the highest level, the structure in this text flow (Flow A of
the Fragment file) can begin with a Para element. In the Target Document,
this text inset is inserted after the Title element for Section 2.

3. Title element for the Third Section

This is a Para element after the Section 3 Title element. It is not a text
inset.

4. Title element for the Fourth Section

This is a Para element after the Section 4 Title element. It is not a text
inset.

If you are using an FM+SGML version earlier than 6.0, that may be the problem.

If a spurious empty Para element was inserted above or below the Para
element containing the actual fragment in the same text flow as the
fragment, that could be the problem.

The only other thing I can think of is that the insertion point at which
you imported the text inset was invalid, but that should produce an error
when you validate the target document. You might carefully examine the
structure view, however, and verify that the imported Para element
containing the text inset appears at a structurally identical point to the
other three Para elements in Sections 1, 3, and 4, and that the text
snippet extends directly from the Para element "bubble" in the structure
view, rather than from above or below the "bubble."

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
177 Riverside Ave., STE F, #1151, Newport Beach, CA 92663