Re: QUESTION:diff of files with tables?

The compare function doesn't cope well with tables that have changed size by insertion or deletion of rows or columns. If you can insert blank rows and columns at the necessary places in the files you will get a good (i.e. explicit) compare. I have saved tables out and done the compare as text as Thomas describes and that also works well. I typically do that by creating  dummy files with just the table in question as the content.

Craig Ede
Los Jugadores Bazutadore

>>> "Thomas Michanek" <thomas.michanek@telia.com> 07/26/01 05:18PM >>>
> How can I vividly show the differences between Frame files containing
> tables when material in tables has been updated? Seems the 'diff' utility
> doesn't work on text inside tables.

That's right, it's a (severe) limitation of the Compare function.

One way would be to save your documents, then convert all tables to
text, compare the documents, and then revert to the saved versions.
Since the tables are converted to text, they will be compared like
all other text. I haven't done this in practice, though, so I cannot
tell you how cumbersome or precise it would be.

I guess you could write a FrameScript, or even a MIF utility,
or find a 3rd-party utility (even though I haven't heard of any).

Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
Technical Writer, IAR Systems, Uppsala, Sweden
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
http://w1.184.telia.com/~u18407300/
* *   NEW  WEB  ADDRESS  SINCE  JUNE  1   * *