UPDATE: (Was: PDF Will Not Print)

Jay Rush wins the "Entomology Lab Prize" du jour from Dov!

Yesterday, Jay Rush reported on the "framers" list that he was having
a problem printing a particular PDF file (gory details repeated below).

In any case, we have duplicated his symptoms at Adobe. Bottom line is
that he generated a perfectly valid PDF file that when sent to print with
Acrobat 5 under Windows (and probably Mac as well) to PostScript Level 2
printers (any) results in an endless loop in PostScript. The job will
either timeout causing the job to terminate, possibly with an error
handler message page that doesn't necessarily mean anything OR the printer
will look like it is chasing its tail until you press the "job cancel"
button on the printer's control panel (if its got one) or reboot the
printer. The job processes perfectly on any Adobe PostScript 3 printer.

What is happening is that the PDF file has smooth-shaded gradients. These
gradients are handled natively by Adobe PostScript 3 devices. For earlier
PostScript devices, Acrobat needs to do something "different." Acrobat
Reader 4 and Acrobat 4 would produce a low resolution bitmap for such
gradients. Acrobat Reader 5 and Acrobat 5 attempted to produce a much
better gradient in such cases. Unfortunately, it appears that in some
boundary condition(s), the result is endless looping in the generated
PostScript. This problem does NOT seem to occur with the vast majority
of gradients.

The good news is that not only have I reproduced the problem, but so
have Adobe's Acrobat QA and Acrobat Development groups. It is now a
high severity, high priority bug in our database for which we will
attempt to have a fix in a forthcoming service pack release.

Jay, thanks from our Acrobat groups for reporting this and providing
the evidence file.

        - Dov

*

*