Paragraph Return Character Hangs Printing

Persnickity, overly-detailed, and show-stopping:

A few days ago I posted a query regarding a FrameMaker 6/Mac printing
problem which hung printing to either paper or disk. Although I
solved the problem I never defined it, and wonder if anyone else
might have experienced similar problems...

The culprit: a single paragraph return character on a text-only page
in the middle of a file. This character forced a blank line between a
paragraphs carrying different character tags.

Saving to MIF and opening that file did _not_ solve the problem; nor
did Save As... and similar routine troubleshooting methods. One
respondent told me that "MIFing" (my coined term) typically cleared
up all sorts of file problems; in retrospect this one seems so slight
that I suspect the utility of MIFing as a troubleshooting aid.

In this case locating the problem was easy, once I found the culprit
page, because the document was short and the page contained only two
visual blocks of copy (the latter block a software code example), so
I naturally gravitated to the blank line between them.

I'm inclined to suspect the source file, perhaps a lead-in character
to the source code -- but that data would have come in the form of
either a simple text file or as the body of an email, e.g., nothing
obviously egregious.

But it might not be so easy next time -- unless someone else can add
to my understanding of the cause (if there is anything to add...).
--

Bart Windrum

720 904 2321 x125
Bart.Windrum@DiogenesInc.com