Re: word spacing & justification

Hi Victor,

I'm glad you brought this up, because I think you've uncovered a bug in the
program.

The spacing behavior you noted (where the last line of a paragraph seems to
use different letter-spacing rules than the others) is true of both
justified and unjustified paragraphs, at least in my experience, with the
fonts I tend to use.

This is quite frustrating when a monospaced font is selected precisely
because of the alignment, for example, with well-formatted code. With both
Courier and Courier New, the last line doesn't line up properly.

I'm sure there's a typographic reason for this behavior in Justified
paragraphs (and I'm also sure it's the one you noted--that when text
doesn't reach the right margin, it doesn't need to be "justified").

But why this behavior in Right- and Left-Aligned paragraphs?

Perhaps one of the type-meisters (or code-meisters) at Adobe could comment?

Thanks for bringing this up.

Best,

Tom Neuburger

The Masters Series: FrameMaker 6