Re: What's with GIMP and TIFF already? [SOLVED]

Gimpsters [and Framesters]:

> I capture screen shots with SnagIt, edit in Gimp, and save as TIFF. [...]
> FrameMaker cannot open Gimp TIFF and
> neither can several pixmap editors.  So I use Graphics Workshop to
convert
> Gimp TIFF to (obviously) some other TIFF variant that the rest of the
known
> universe can recognise.  And, guess what, Gimp cannot read Graphics
> Workshop TIFF.
>
> Also, clicking the LZW Compression checkbox in the Save As dialogue gives
> an error message saying that no LZW is available.  Do I have to download
> some plugins or whatever for this functionality?
>
> Any clues, workarounds, preferences, or whatever for this?

Someone kindly pointed out that the GIF and TIFF plug-ins supplied with the
Windows download do not support LZW compression for licence reasons.  But
the other programs I work with silently apply this or expect it.  If you
want to be sued for $billions, you can download the Windows port and the
necessary plug-ins from
<http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32//downloads-20001023.html>.

FrameGoblins:

Gimp (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) is Photoshop for the masses, running
on UNIX, Linux, Windows, and possibly Macintosh.  You can even download the
code, learn Lisp/Scheme, and modify it for your own uses -- provided you
have done lebenty wowsand years of computer science.  It comes with a cute
little goblin or bilby logo, worth the download on its own.  See
<http://www.gimp.org/>.

[Windows 2000, GIMP v 1.1.24 (Lillqvist port of Kimball & Mattis),
FrameMaker v
5.5.6p145]

Roo guards and happy <politicallyCravenSeason>** and a prosperous REAL new
millenium for all those who are numerate,

Hedley

** Substitute Christmas, Hannukah, Ramadan, Xmas, Rites of Spring, Oestre,
Blessing of the Fleet, etc. to taste.

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor

                    hedley_finger@m
                    yob.com.au             To:     GIMP Post <gimp-user@xcf.berkeley.edu>
                                           cc:
                    21/12/2000             Subject:     What's with GIMP and TIFF already?
                    09:49 AM