Re: text insets for chapter TOCs

> So far, so good. But when I make a change in the book, and regenerate the
> chapter TOC, it doesn't pick up the change. Again, here's the process I
> followed:
>
>    Make sure you're still in the chapter file.
>    Choose Edit -> Update References.
>    Make sure the text inset choices are selected.
>    Click Update.

It's not clear if and how you re-generate the TOC file. This is not
done by the Update References command. If you have a text inset
set for automatic update, you'll first of all have to make sure
the file the text inset refers to (the TOC file) gets updated.
When this file have been updated (re-generated), the text inset
is automatically updated (you don't have to do it manually).

So, you need to Generate the TOC file each time you want the TOC in
the chapter file to be updated. If this TOC file is not part of
your book setup (which is hard for chapter-level TOC files), it
will not be re-generated when the book is updated. You need to
use the Generate command from the chapter file, not the book file.