Re: FM 6.0, Windows 2000 and QMS printer

(1) Forget about using Windows NT drivers with Windows 2000. They
are totally different beasts.

(2) The standard Windows 2000 PostScript driver "should" work with
any printer that properly interprets PostScript as defined in the
PostScript Language Reference manual. The QMS Magicolor printers do
use the QMS/Imagen UltraScript "emulation" of PostScript. However,
I believe the problem is one of "handshaking" between Windows 2000
and the printer.

(3) You should look at the driver settings. Binary versus ASCII versus
TBCP settings could be the problem.

(4) It is also possible that if your communications is via parallel port,
that the Windows 2000 implementation of ECP parallel port control is
conflicting with either your computer motherboard's settings or your
printer's support for ECP bi-directional IEEE 1284 parallel ports. The
cheapest and easiest test for this is to reboot your PC and go into
ROM BIOS setup. Change the parallel port configuration to PC AT or PS/2
compatibility modes as opposed to ECP or EPP. Save that change and
let the boot continue. Windows 2000 should note the change and reconfigure
its physical parallel port driver. It printing now works, the problem
was indeed ECP configuration. [Note that you can leave the printer this
way, but it will transfer data in a slower, less efficient manner.]

        - Dov