Combining pdf files (bookmarks don't work)

Platform: Windows NT using Framemaker 5.5.6 and Acrobat Distiller 4.0

I have created 3 separate pdf files from 3 different Framemaker book files
(save as .pdf through Framemaker). Ultimately, I need 1 final pdf file by
combining all 3 pdfs. When I create each pdf, I setup my bookmarks through
the Acrobat setup options and they work great! My problem occurs when I
combine the pdf files. The bookmarks in the pdf that I am adding to remain
functional but the bookmarks from the pdf files that I have added become
disabled at that point. I am able to redirect the bookmarks (individually -
UUGGGHHHH) but I was hoping that there was an easier solution. HELP!