Re: Distiller 3.01 with PS 4.3.1 drivers=PDF problem?

Donna,

The short answer is: don't use AdobePS 4.3.1 unless  you're Distilling with Acrobat 4.0.

I've noticed this PDF problem as well in my own testing of AdobePS 4.3.1, Acrobat Distiller 3.0x, Acrobat Distiller 4.0 and the PPDs appropriate to each version. For more information, see the next issue of InFrame at:
http://www.inframe-mag.com

Can any Acrobat experts comment on how AdobePS 4.3.1 loses all font information in PDFs? I've noticed the blank PDF syndrome using Distiller 3.0x, but has anyone seen it using AdobePS 4.3.1 and Acrobat Distiller 4.0? Why does this blank PDF thing happen in the first place? Does it have something to do with how the Acrobat viewers handle font information and the changes (due to licensing requirements for embedded fonts) regarding, for example, Helvetica's substitution to Arial MT in the PDF?

Arial MT, by the way, is called out by Distiller when it builds the PDF from the aforementioned Resources\Fonts folder. It's likely that the blank thing is happening because Donna's Distiller 3.0x has no such fonts. I seem to recall that in one case all my text reappeared after I used ATM to install the fonts from the Acrobat 4.0\Resources\Fonts folder, but couldn't repeat this process later.

I understand that the font metrics (e.g. between Helvetica and Arial MT) should still be the same set width, but are there any documented problems where PDF appears blank using the proper AdobePS 4.3.1, Distiller 4.0, adist4.ppd, and FM 5.5.6?

Somewhat puzzled,

Jason Aiken
Frame Templar