Re: Placing PDFs in Frame (Was why tifs in Frame docs?)

Carl,

This is a great idea (using PDFs instead of.... for images in FM).

However, in our case, I don't think that it would be appropriate because
our book images are essentially becoming a much more broad-based image
library.  I don't know how or where these images will be used.

Today it is a book in FM.  Tomorrow it is in an on-line product
catalog.  Next week it will be...  Using Photoshop, I can batch convert
these EPS files into JPEGs (or whatever) as needed.

Question: Is there or will there soon be a way to batch convert image
files into PDF-format image files?  (Example an entire directory
containing 500 images all converted with two or three mouse clicks --
Photoshop can do this, but I don't think to PDF [yet?].)

Jay

"Carl L. Young" wrote:

> Jay Smith Wrote:
>
> <snip>I use EPS files to avoid this issue.</snip>
>
> Although it certainly depends on the graphic, you can see dramatic
> improvement in FrameMake's performance by converting those sometimes huge
> TIF and EPS files to PDF. One client complained about Frame running slower
> than their old Ventura-based system. We used Acrobat Distiller to turn their
> EPS graphics into PDFs. Graphics file sizes shrunk from 1-2 MB to 7 or 8 K.
>
> Frame's performance level shot right, and the graphics (line art, in this
> case) looked terrific on screen and in print.
>
> Note that this only works in Frame 5.5.6.
>
> Regards,
> Carl
> Carl Young                  Adobe Certified Training
> DigiPub Solutions Corp.                     Provider
> 602.788.6512                  FrameMaker and Acrobat
>                                    Adobe Premium VAR
> www.digipubcorp.com          Chrystal Software Aspen
>                                              Partner
> Consulting, training, information development and
> conversion services provided throughout the U.S.

Jay Smith

e-mail: Jay@JaySmith.com

Jay Smith & Associates
P.O. Box 650