search and replace feature enhancement suggestion

I'd like to see the search and replace function improved so that a search could be done using ranges and wildcards (as we currently can) but having the replace use the same wildcards to replace with the specific contents caught by the search instance. For instance, if I wanted to insert a space between any number and V (turning 5V. and 8V into 5 V. and 8 V) I would like to do this (with wildcards on):

search for: [0123456789]V

replace with [0123456789] V

The replace field could substitute the specific character(s) caught by the current search hit into the replace field wildcard. Or, if it made it any easier to understand, perhaps wildcard content field placeholders could be used like this:

search for: [0123456789]V and *.pdf

replace with: $1 V and $2.ps

to add a space between all numbers and the letter V, when it is followed by the word "and" and a string ending in .pdf (the .pdf being replaced with .ps).

Craig
Los Jugadores