Re: Vanishing X-Refs - Reply

You've probably zeroed in on the actual problem being encountered by the
originator of this thread, Craig, although I noticed that, in V4 at least,
it was being caused by something else intermittently. That's why I
originally went to the use of a variable. I found that method to be better
anyway (among other reasons because you no longer have to worry about the
cross-ref marker being wiped out), so I never checked later versions to see
if the bug had been fixed.
At 11:16 AM 7/29/99 -0500, Craig Ede wrote:
>We routinely use cross refs to a doctitle para in a coversheet file. The
only time we have problems is when the cross-ref source marker on the
coversheet is inadvertantly deleted. To help prevent this we inserted a
space between the marker and the dummy title in our coversheet template.
These xrefs survive hundreds of regenerates.

>Craig
>Los Jugadores Bazutadores

>This kind of buggy behavior, which I noted as far back as V4, is one reason
>why I believe the use of a variable for book title is better. You define
>that variable in the file that contains the title page, changing it whenever
>you change the title. Then, you import only the variables from that file
>into all other files of the book. Note also that this allows you to insert
>the BookTitle variable anywhere, not just in header/footers.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646