From: Michael Conner <michaelconner@mail.smsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:23:47 -0500

>I'm afraid I can't offer a quick solution to the mechanical problem,
but I
>can't resist asking: "Are ALL the figure captions and table titles
complete
>sentences?"
>
>If they are, I guess the punctuation makes sense, but I don't think
I've
>ever seen anything like this in real-world use; captions and titles are
>usually phrases or sentence fragments, which means that the periods
>shouldn't be there at all.
>
>If they're not all complete sentences, I'd remove the trailing periods
and
>be done with it.
>
>Art

I'm an archaeologist, and for our reports we follow the style of
American
Antiquity, the major journal in the profession, which uses periods after
figure captions and table titles regardless of their grammatical nature.
Most academic publishers I'm familiar with use periods after captions,
though periods after table titles are more variable. That's my "real
world."

Style is style, so I would prefer to keep the period, but wouldn't be
averse to dropping it from table titles if there is no other solution.

Mike
<<unsnip---