FrameMaker SaveAs HTML

Framers,

I've been playing with the SaveAs HTML feature in FrameMaker 5.5.6 this week and would appreciate the views of those on the list about using this feature.

I'm finding that the native SaveAs HTML is much more workable than I had thought, (especially with all the pro-WebWorks/anti-native SaveAs stuff that has appeared here). I'm using a 800+ page book as one test case and it works quite well. The documentation is very thin, however. The description of how to deal with character mapping, for instance, shows how to define to HTML character references, but leaves unsaid how one changes the font from ISO-8859-1 to ISO-10646 to get symbols.

Hashing out the pros-and-cons between WebWorks and SaveAs HTML is not what I want to discuss. (Should someone decide they want to duke that out, I'd suggest the subject heading WebWorks vs. SaveAs HTML.) I'm interested finding out how to use the native version to its fullest potential.

For that reason I'd like to hear from folks who are using it, describing what they like about it and what they find unusable (Go, you WebWorks afficianados!) I, for instance, find the load time of the .css file prohibitive, so I just rename it to disable calls to it. I expect I could edit it down to something that only dealt with a few formatting issues. That would make it more useful.

If you have access to other sources of information about this feature (beyond the demo files on the installation CD), please let me know about these. There is definitely an information deficit here. Adobe: How about posting a set of HTML templates as a new template pack set? I know I saw demos pre-5.5 release.

One of the reasons I want to explore this is that it is a good prelude to setting up books using the XML feature, something that will probably be much more useful in the long run than the HTML save. A separate posting re: XML will follow.

Please feel free to mail directly to me or post to the list if you think your observations are of general interest. I will summarize to the list.

Craig
Los Jugadores Bazutadores han dicho: Porqué gastaría mucho cuando está en el programa.