Re: Recycle sections of text in WinFrame 5.5.6 (Revisited)

Why not create the master copy in a separate text inset file. Then, import
the text inset by reference wherever you need it. It will be updated
wherever it is used whenever you update the master copy.

Your concern about making para and character tags "stick", as well as
everything being autonumbered correctly is automatically taken care of,
provided, in the case of autonumbering, that the autonumber specification is
<n+> and there are no counter resets (i.e., < =0>) in the autonumbering
chains of the master copy that would collide with the same autonumber
counters in the target document. For example, if the chapter number is 1 in
the master copy, and the target document is the nth chapter of the book,
then the chapter number of the text inset will become n in the target
document. It works the same way with autonumbered headings.

Furthermore, when you import a text inset, you have the choice of either
retaining the source (i.e., master copy) document's formatting, or
reformatting according to the current (i.e., target) document. Either choice
works if the source and target documents both have the same format tags, the
formatting of those tags is the same in both documents, and there are no
format overrides or ad-hoc formatting in the master copy.
At 12:34 PM 6/16/99 -0700, John Posada wrote:
>OK, guys...here's what I would like to do. You tell me
>if I'm SOL.
>
>Under instructions from my client, I'm to keep
>referencing sections of instructions to a minimum, and
>in this case, I almost agree.
>
>I have several instances where have a one to five page
>section of step procedures that can be reused in
>another section and instead of referencing the reader
>to the other section, they want me to repeat the
>instructions.
>
>What I would like to do is use something like
>Cross-reference to repeat that section. This way, and
>changes I make to the procedure in one area will
>automatically change in all places with that
>procedure.
>
>I'd rather not have to maintain that section as a
>separate file and use File -> Import, , all P and C
>tages must stick, and I need any automatic numbering
>(lists, table numbers, figure numbers, etc.) in each
>section to be numbered correctly for that section.
>
>I understand that I'd probably have to make some
>"accomodations", but I'd rather do that then maintain
>and edit a series of procedures in three different
>places individualy.
>
>Any of this make sense?

     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646