Re: Printing from PDF

At 4/13/99 08:04 AM , John Pilla wrote:
>We just sent our first PDF file to the printer for direct printing.
>Previously, for the past 2 years or so, we saved each PDF document to
>*.ps format of the printers's doc-u-tech machine.
>Because of the 256 page limit bug in the Adobe 4.2.4 (171) printer
>driver, we could not use this previous method with one of our (400 pg)
>documents.   So in taliking with our printer, he said that they should
>be able to make hard copies directly from the PDF file.
>
>Problem:   Both the document's page numbering (1-1, 1-2, 2-1, etc.) and
>the PDF file's page numbering (1, 2, ... 400) are showing up in the
>footer.  This is unacceptable.
>is this unavoidable?  if not, then the only solution is to save the 400
>page pdf'd document to two different *.ps files, one with the first 200
>pages and one with the second 200 pages.
>
>TIA,
>~john

I assume that what your printer is doing for you is to use Acrobat
to send your PDF file to the printer via PostScript.

Note that the "256 page limit" problem does NOT exist with the NT
or Mac versions of the AdobePS drivers. The problem is fixed for
Windows'9x in the AdobePS 4.3 driver (to be released soon).

What is putting a "PDF page number" on your printed pages? Unless
that is something you actually want, it sounds like your "printer"
is adding something that s/he shouldn't, possibly via some
Acrobat plugin.

	- Dov