A conditional-text caveat

FM5.5.6 on WinNT: I've discovered the hard way that File | Import |
Formats... | Conditional Text Settings does not do what I expect (and
what I think is reasonable to expect) in the following situation:

I create a new book; call it BK-0050.  This new book incorporates a
couple of chapter files from another book, BK-0048.  As I edit those
shared chapters for BK-0050, I find I need to create a condition for
text that should appear in BK-0050 but not in any of the other books
these chapters serve.  I call this new condition 0050.  All is well so
far; I generate BK-0050, publish it, put it away.

Now I need to publish a new edition of BK-0048.  The first thing I do
is to apply conditional-text settings to the book from its template
file; those settings specify showing conditions "0048" and "draft".

Much to my consternation, when I open any of those shared chapters, I
see text that is specific to BK-0050!  I check the conditional-text
settings, and they show conditions "0048", "draft", and "0050"!  So I
have to open every shared chapter, check for this anomaly, and
manually remove any instance of "0050" from the show list.

This does not seem reasonable to me.  Applying conditional settings
should do just that, and not leave unwanted conditions in the show
list.  Anyway, be warned, if you use conditional text and add new
books to a shared collection.
--
Carolyn Stallard
Documentation Manager