Re: FRM->Word trouble

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 22:00:28 +0200, "Benzi Schreiber" <benzi@harmonycom.com>
wrote:

>1. When I try to save a Frame file as Word, the computer sometimes (i.e.,
>for some files) displays the following message:
>"Cannot create a temporary MIF file for the filter".
>
>Any ideas?

Yes.  The Word (and RTF) export filters are essentially broken.  You
*may* get usable results if you strip the Frame files down to bare
bones (little more than plain text), have at least 100MB available
for the temp files, and let the filter run overnight.  Then, as
someone on another list recently described it, you can clean up the
results in Word in about a day, for a 100-page document.

>2. To convert a whole book to Word, do I have to convert each file
>separately, or is there a way to do the entire book?

The only way we know of to convert a whole book is to use mif2rtf,
our $295 filter, which operates from within FrameMaker.  Then you
get *everything* in your file converted, including Frame native
graphics, in seconds instead of hours.  Most files convert fine
right out of the box, using only defaults, but you can modify over
200 settings in an .ini file to get the precise effects you want.
It pays for itself the first day you use it, literally.  For more
info, see:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/mif2rtf.htm

As a bonus, we are also including our new HTML export filter, free.
As always, you get a full year of email tech support, and all of
the upgrades we produce in the next year.

   (jeremy@omsys.com)     http://www.omsys.com/
** To subscribe to Free Framers, email the message **
** body "subscribe framers" to majordomo@omsys.com **