RE: InDesign and Frame

Wow, Dan, Salon is a scandal sheet? I was recently featured in an article
there. If only I'd known before I gave the reporter that interview... <g>

Although I have plenty of complaints about Adobe's treatment of its
FrameMaker stepchildren, I don't think their lackadaisical marketing of the
software indicates anything relevant or important. We go in circles here
complaining, begging for answers, crushed with disappointment because Frame
won't do what we want it to do. And the more brilliant software literati
then figure out workarounds so those of us who are less skilled can continue
to use Frame.

Given all that, where is the motivation for Adobe to give a damn about its
users? We are self-cleaning, autonomous, capable folk who take the bull by
the horns and solve the problems ourselves. It's kind of like the enabling
scenario in a codependent/alcoholic relationship. He/she won't change, so we
adapt to it.

And most people, I believe (or at least commoners like me) end up having a
love-hate relationship with Frame, which, if it did everything the user
really needed, would be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but because
it does not seem to evolve very successfully, is irritating as hell.

I doubt very much Adobe plans to phase FrameMaker out. After all, they don't
spend any money marketing it, yet it sells very well and is quite expensive,
and where it doesn't work, eager, intelligent users are more than willing to
offer fixes so others can use it too. Why would Adobe give up a sweet deal
like that?

Diane