Re: Cross reference (An Addendum)

I omitted one possible way that it could be done. Let's suppose that your
spot cross-reference markers all contain text of the form "Definition of xxxx"
You could create a cross-reference format named Definition whose format is:

        See Definition
Then you can select Cross-Reference Markers as the Source Type in the
cross-reference dialog box, select the applicable marker, and insert the
cross-reference using the Definition format. The resulting cross-reference
will have a hypertext link to the source marker.

At 04:46 PM 3/8/99 +0100, Wim Hooghwinkel wrote:
>One of the things I still did not figure out, is how to set a cross
>reference to just one word. I can insert a reference marker, put the word or
>phrase in it, but the cross reference (target) displays the whole sentence,
>not the reference-marker-text. I can only choose <paratext>, not
><markertext> or some alike.
>
>According to the manual it should be possible. How does it work?
No, it's not possible, and it doesn't work.

You are being misled by the example under "Spot cross-references" at the top
of page 156 of the V5.5.x user's manual, which seems to imply that the
cross-reference will contain only the word "Inertia" in italics, followed by
the page number reference. But, under step 4 in the second column on page
157, reality bites: Here's what it states:

"For example, if you insert a marker where inertia is defined, you can enter
(as the marker text) 'Definition of Inertia'. This text appears in the
Cross-Reference dialog box to help you identify the source. It doesn't
appear in the cross-reference itself."

In reality, the italicized word "Inertia" in the cross-reference example in
the first column on page 156 was typed in, with an italicized charater
format applied to it. The cross-reference itself contains only the page number.

There are only two purposes for spot cross-references:

1. When you choose Cross Reference Markers from the Source Type popup menu
in the Cross-Reference dialog box, the spot cross-reference marker text
helps you to find the applicable cross-reference source.

2. If the paragraph in which the spot cross-reference was inserted runs over
to a second page, the spot cross-reference is in the text on the second
page, and the cross-reference format you select contains only the page
number, then the cross-reference will properly contain the page number where
the marker is located, not the page number on which the paragraph begins.

CONCLUSIONS:
1. The marker text in a spot cross-reference never gets updated.

2. The marker text in a spot cross-reference does not appear in the
cross-reference itself.

3. The only value of spot cross-references is:

        a. To help you to locate a cross-reference source.
        b. When you want to use a cross-reference format that
           contains only the page number, in which case the
           referenced page number will always be the page that
           contains the marker.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646