Re: Cross reference

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:46:19 +0100 , Wim Hooghwinkel <wimh@scriptware.nl> wrote:

>One of the things I still did not figure out, is how to set a cross
>reference to just one word. I can insert a reference marker, put the word or
>phrase in it, but the cross reference (target) displays the whole sentence,
>not the reference-marker-text. I can only choose <paratext>, not
><markertext> or some alike.
>
>According to the manual it should be possible. How does it work?

You can't get the effect you want from a cross-reference; the marker
text is used merely to identify the location of the reference, and
cannot be used in the cross-reference format.  Good idea, though...

What you *can* do, to make a link, is use hypertext markers.  Put a
newlink marker at the referenced text (where you put the xref marker),
and a gotolink marker with the same content just before the word at
the reference (which you would type).  Then apply a named char format
of any sort (can be all As-Is) to the word at the reference, making
sure to include the gotolink marker within the selection.  This will
give you the hyperjump properties of a cross-reference.

If your interest is in making sure the *word* is identical in the
two places (and maybe other places), use an FM "variable" for it.
By using the same variable in each place, you can guarantee that
any change made to the word in one place will appear that way in
all the other places.  You can use this together with the hypertext
markers to produce what is effectively the same as the xref you
wanted in the first place.

"There's More Than One Way To Do It" isn't just about perl... <g>

   (jeremy@omsys.com)     http://www.omsys.com/
** To subscribe to Free Framers, email the message **
** body "subscribe framers" to majordomo@omsys.com **