Re: SUMMARY: PS fonts in FM/NT4

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Dov Isaacs wrote:

> At 2/22/99 01:41 PM , Thomas Michanek wrote:
> >I'm still curious as to exactly how the printer driver does
> >this and where the font information is actually stored, but
> >noone has so far managed to explain that. It cannot be the
> >physical printer's built-in Type 1 fonts that are used, since
> >they should need to be rasterized on-screen using ATM, which
> >we don't have. Or am I wrong about this?
>
> The printer drivers have several ways of getting font metrics
> information. [...]

But I wasn't referring to font metrics; I wondered how the printer
driver could supply font *bitmaps* for the screen, since ATM isn't
there to rasterize the PS fonts that are stored in the printer?

But John Hogan seems to have found the answer:

> The following is quoted from an Adobe printer driver help file:
> "Unless you have the ATM program, Windows displays text on your monitor
> using substitute fonts for your PostScript printer fonts. For example,
> Windows displays Times New Roman for Times, and Courier New for Courier.

So, for all the time that ATM wasn't available for Windows NT, we
were actually looking at TrueType substitute fonts on the screen?
That would explain a lot of on-screen difference between the same
documents in UNIX and Windows...

Thomas Michanek, Documentation Manager, Telelogic Tau
Telelogic AB, Teknikringen 9, SE-58330 Linkoping, SWEDEN
PHONE/FAX:  +46 (0)13 200656/212166
EMAIL:  mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telelogic.com
WWW 1:  http://www.telelogic.com
WWW 2:  http://hem1.passagen.se/framers