Re: Booklet on FM for Mac

Well, you're right that you need to think this out ahead of time. FM's page
number variable won't provide accurate page numbers when a single page is
employed as a two-page spread. However, you can create a small text frame
with its own text flow tag, say "B", that uses an autonumbered paragraph
format to create sequential numbers.

To get the booklet layout, create a new custom document, with appropriate
page size, etc. Delete the main text columns from the master pages. Then
add enough disconnected blank pages to accommodate your needs (see the note
about page count at the end of this discussion.)

In a small magnification view, where you can see most or all of your pages,
copy the main text frame from the first body page and paste it on the page
that's going to be the second page. Connect the first one to the second
(See Help or the manual). Continue the process of pasting and connecting in
the sequence you want your booklet's pages to follow. This is how layout
programs are typically used, and, though FM's rarely used this way, it's
perfectly capable of nearly all that you'd expect, with the exception of
having two different page numbers on one page spread.

Now, you have to repeat this sequence of copy/pasting text frames and
connecting them in sequence, only this time, you draw them small where the
page numbers should be. If you make the first one contain your autonumbered
paragraph format, you'll see each number appear when you paste a new frame
and connect it. In fact, it might be helpful to draw these guys first, so
you can follow the numbered sequence from page to page as you draw the main
text containers.

Because you will need to know the number of pages in order to get the
layout right, you may want to first "pour" your document into a template
that uses the same size text frame you'll have in the final booklet to get
the page count in that size.

It's not an endless slippery slope once you get all the skills together,
and develop a workflow plan.

At 03:53 PM 2/24/99 , Dina Davidson wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>I am putting together an information booklet on FM 5.5 at home (Mac).
>
>I am just about finished editing the copy and I am about to design my
>template. I want the finished product to be printable landscape across one
>8.5x11" page and folded.

[snipped]

Regards,

Peter
  Peter Gold  HighSoft, Inc. Adobe Products Applications Engineer,
Training, Support
                     voice: Inside Colorado: 303.751.3700 x206
                               Outside Colorado 888.795.6066 x206
                      fax: 303.751.3777
                                     visit http://www.highsoft.com