Re: Message:This file is not a Frame document

John, I've seen this before in a previous life on the Mac. Has the desktop
been rebuilt lately (or ever)?

Reboot the Mac and stand there like a fool in front of the machine while
holding down the Command key and the one next to it (is it the Options key?).
Eventually, long after your colleagues all think you are mad, a dialogue
comes up just before the reboot is complete asking whether you want to
rebuild the desktop. Say "yes" and see if the files start to behave.

AN EXPLANATION:

there is a hidden file call "Desktop.db" which holds all the resource
information. This sometimes (read "often" if there have been lots of crashes)
gets corrupt and you start getting strange effects such as pretty icons
becomming dog-eared pages and files not getting found or their kind not being
properly identified.

Good luck

michaelr

John Pitt wrote:

> A tricky one I haven't seen before.
>
> BACKGROUND
>
> FM 5.1.1 on an ageing Power Mac (6100/60AV) running Japanese operating
> system 7.5.5 with about 40 Mb of RAM.
>
> We are updating existing books for our next software release, and
> re-formatting and changing the filenames of all files for all languages to
> include .fm and .book. Due to the unavailability of 5.5.6, we are still
> using 5.5.1 for double-byte languages.
>
> PROBLEM
>
> After re-naming individual files and making a new .book file, the
> translator/Framer started re-linking all the unresolved x-refs.
>
> One file, values.fm, containing x-refed headings refuses to cooperate,
> however. Other files x-refed to its predecessor, values_J, cannot be
> re-linked to values.fm -- when we try to re-link, we get the message:
>
>         This file is not a Frame document
>
> But ... values.fm can be opened normally from the .book and from the Open
> menu.
>
> She has tried converting to .mif in another folder then re-saving as .fm,
> then deleting the original  before copying the miffed version back. This
> works temporarily, but returns at the next Generate/Update book.
>
> To top this off, she just reported the same problem in other files in the
> same book.
>
> help? please?

> John Pitt, Technical Writer
> Wilcom Pty Ltd
> (02) 9578 5176
> mailto:jpitt@wilcom.com.au

             _   _        Michael Richards
            ( \ / )       Email:  michaelr@ind.tansu.com.au
           __\ Y /,-')    Tel: +61 2 9206 3524
          (__     .-'     Locked Bag 6581 Sydney 1100
             |   (        Fax: +61 2 9281 1301
             [___]        Intelligent Network Platforms,
             |oo |        Telstra Corporation, Australia
           ,' \  |
          <___/  |
             |   |
             |   |     HAVE YOU SEEN THIS CHICKEN???