Message:This file is not a Frame document

A tricky one I haven't seen before.

BACKGROUND

FM 5.1.1 on an ageing Power Mac (6100/60AV) running Japanese operating
system 7.5.5 with about 40 Mb of RAM.

We are updating existing books for our next software release, and
re-formatting and changing the filenames of all files for all languages to
include .fm and .book. Due to the unavailability of 5.5.6, we are still
using 5.5.1 for double-byte languages.

PROBLEM

After re-naming individual files and making a new .book file, the
translator/Framer started re-linking all the unresolved x-refs.

One file, values.fm, containing x-refed headings refuses to cooperate,
however. Other files x-refed to its predecessor, values_J, cannot be
re-linked to values.fm -- when we try to re-link, we get the message:

	This file is not a Frame document

But ... values.fm can be opened normally from the .book and from the Open
menu.

She has tried converting to .mif in another folder then re-saving as .fm,
then deleting the original  before copying the miffed version back. This
works temporarily, but returns at the next Generate/Update book.

To top this off, she just reported the same problem in other files in the
same book.

help? please?

John Pitt, Technical Writer
Wilcom Pty Ltd