Re: Changing column layout mid-document

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:53:34 -0500, "Lynda Simons" <lynda.simons@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>I have a document that is about 30 pages long and all one flow. I
>would like to change the layout so that the first page is a single
>column, the next 20 or so pages have two columns (newspaper style),
>then the last 9 or so pages are single column again. What is the
>most efficient way to do this?
>
>The single column pages don't need to flow into the double column
>pages, so I could change flows, but I can't work out an easy way
>to change the flow of 20 pages in the middle of a document.

There isn't one.  This is one of the few cases where Word, with
its ability to change layouts at section breaks, is more flexible.
And *that* suggests another possibility:  can you break your doc
into two (or three) "chapters", and make a book of the set?

If your first part is always one page, no more, you could combine
it with the second part in one doc using the normal FM first-page
master method.  Then the third part, where you go back to single
column, would be the second doc, with *no* special first page.

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/