Changing column layout mid-document

I have a document that is about 30 pages long and all one flow. I would like to change the layout so that the first page is a single column, the next 20 or so pages have two columns (newspaper style), then the last 9 or so pages are single column again. What is the most efficient way to do this?

The single column pages don't need to flow into the double column pages, so I could change flows, but I can't work out an easy way to change the flow of 20 pages in the middle of a document.

I see that I can customize individual text frames, but then I get the override message switching view from master page to body page. I'd prefer not to have to keep overrides. Also, it seems I would have to select each page frame individually to apply the double column layout. This all seems a bit clunky. Is there a more elegant alternative?

TIA

Lynda
Lynda Simons
Technical Communications Consultant