Re: .fm vs .e## vs .xml

'Twas said:

>Robo for FrameMaker works with FM files, and Robo Office 5 works with
MIF files.
>The reason I mention Flare is that the future of Robo is the subject
of some >discussion

RoboHelp for FrameMaker is dead. It lasted less than a year and was
discontinued July 1, 2004.

RoboHelp Office will import MIF, sure, but then you have to work on
the content in RoboHelp, meaning you have two sources to maintain, not
one.

Flare sounds great. Especially if I had RoboHelp, I'd be drooling and
chomping at the bit--no offense--but Flare is still a concept and not
a product. It is getting a lot of buzz, though.

> but it seems the guys who did robo-for-frame are now working on Flare

Nope. It's the guys who did the RoboHelp product -- the main one for
sure, and I would guess there's some who also worked on RHFM. Flare is
not about RHFM, it's not about competing with WWP or Mif2Go, from what
I can tell Flare be aiming directly at RoboHelp and the market in
general, as a whole. Just a guess on that last part, though.

At this point in time, if you have FM and want HTML from a single
source perspective, WWP and Mif2Go are about it ... custom XML
solutions aside. RoboHelp is not playing that sport, let alone in the
same ballpark.

--
======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.