Re: FM7 Mac: Issues

On 29 Mar 2005, at 23:27, waynefb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

When they fail, does Distiller spit out any error messages?

Yes, usually things like the last couple:

" Error: ioerror; OffendingCommand: showpage"

I'm not an expert, but as you probably know, there's one showpage command for each page in a PostScript file. It comes at the end of the description of each page. Showpage is not permitted in EPS files. You don't per chance have any "custom-made" EPS graphics in the document?

Some users report that Classic is stable, but that's not been my experience.
That's why we still use Mac OS 9 at the office.

Actually Classic has been fairly stable, it's been FM7 that has crashed. I have tried to simply restart FM7, but that usually results in a long startup time and it never gets past the splash screen. It's not until I force quit classic and restart it that I can reopen FrameMaker. It's a strange thing and not something that use to happen with 5.5 under Classic.

I think it's Classic that screws up because whenever FrameMaker 6.0, Acrobat 5.0.5, or PageMill 3.0 trips up, all Classic apps go pear shaped. Sometimes Mac OS X's System Preferences app stops responding too. Restarting an individual app never works, so I always kill Classic, then restart it. Fortunately, starting Classic and FrameMaker is a relatively quick affair, if somewhat annoying.

I have never had issues using 5.5 under either, and FM 7 under XP has been fairly stable which is why I'm surprised at how many times I've had FM 7 under Classic crash or the PostScript fail me... The strangest thing is the same PostScript code that fails on Classic works fine on Distiller on XP, or as I mentioned PSStill or Preview.

I'm going to try some other things tonight to see if I can't get my PS files to work on the Mac.

Perhaps try another printer driver. I guess you're using the Distiller PPD with your printer driver?

Paul