RE: FrameMaker's Future

> As the www.adobeindia.com (which is probably
> required occasional
> monitoring for FM groupies) site explains:
>
> "The India team has complete ownership for the
> PageMaker and
> FrameMaker products and hence handles all phases
> of the new feature
> releases starting from conceptualizing,
> designing, delivering and
> testing for all current and subsequent releases.
>
> In the recent FrameMaker release, exciting new
> features like the
> conditional text and cross referencing in XML
> known as round tripping
> has been introduced - all of it owned by the India team."

When working with DocBook XML -- without a custom client
that is much more capable than the one ships with the
DocBook Starter Kit (same code for docbook.dll in both 7.0
and 7.1) -- I found both FrameMaker's round-tripping and
xref features to rate between bad and very bad; however, it
is possible that the difficulties I encountered are
attributable to my lack of experience with structured
FrameMaker. A highly-qualified FrameMaker expert/consultant
told me that the code for the DocBook Starter Kit (import.c,
export.c) has not been upgraded or changed since FrameMaker
6 when it was specific to just SGML (no XML support).

I make available a downloadable structured FrameMaker 7.0
DocBook XML project that details what I found/experienced.
Any corrections to the project or the README are
appreciated. Buried in the README you can find the details
of my experience and support for my opinions.

A quick link to the README:

http://www.getnet.net/~swhitlat/DocBook/Frame_Project_Readme
.html

To download the project: