[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next]
[Date Index] [Thread Index] [New search]

Re: ghost character inserted during MSWord import


You wrote:

I have just finished to convert a book from FM7.0 to XML and I
discovered that the xml is littered with unicode FFFD characters (which
does not exist and therefore results in garbage) at the end of almost
every para.

Upon inspection of the various files used during the production of the
book I discovered that they appeared during the import from MSWord2000
into FM; they are not visible, but they are there since you can count
the bytes.

This is not a big problem since it does not affect the PDF for print
production and a global replace can cure easily the xml files,
nevertheless this is annoying and potentially dangerous.

Anyone has ever incountered such a problem ?

Michael Müller-Hillebrand reported this problem after FM7.0 was released. [ http://www.microtype.com/FM_bugs.html ]

After opening Word or RTF documents in FM each paragraph ends with an invisible but selectable Carriage Return character.

(1) Do a find/replace in FrameMaker, searching for "\x0d" (without the quotes), replacing with nothing.
(2) saving the file as MIF also removes those characters.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars

** To unsubscribe, send a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxx **
** with "unsubscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.   **