RE: Why Upgrade to & Some Information About Acrobat 7!

At 12/2/2004 12:19 AM, Caroline Tabach wrote:
>Thanks for the information.
>How about backwards compatibility?

Caroline,

See my previous response to David. Acrobat 7 is
"backwards compatible" in the sense that it can
open and process PDF files created by all previous
versions of Acrobat (as well as third party PDF
creators that fully adhere to the PDF specifications)
AND that it can create PDF files in PDF versions 1.2
through 1.5 that are fully functional under earlier
versions of Acrobat and/or other applications that
can open and/or place such earlier versions of PDF.

The only known backwards incompatibility that I am
aware of is that Acrobat 7 (and all subsequent releases
of Adobe products relying on the underlying technologies)
no longer restricts PDF files to 2 gigabytes in size.
(The 2 gigabyte PDF file limit was an "implementation
limit," not a limit of the file format!) Thus, Acrobat 7
can create and/or save PDF files of any version that
can exceed 2 gigabytes in size and are thus, incompatible
with any previous version of Acrobat or any existing
Adobe application. On the other hand, if you are producing
2 gigabyte PDF files, you probably have some other
headaches to worry about as well ...  :-)

        - Dov