Portability of FDK clients across versions of FM

I've almost completed work on my FDK client using MSVC
6, FM 5.5 and the 5.5 FDK (Windows OS). Out of
curiosity, I tried using the DLL with FM 5.11. At
start-up, FM cannot "initialize" the FDK client. Which
means the client won't work.

I'm using the maker.ini file to declare the DLL in
both FM 5.11 and 5.5.

I thought that I would be able to use my FDK client
with FM 5.11 without a problem. Is there something
unusual about 5.11? Is it tied to the 5.11 FDK?

Marko