Re: Framemaker 7.1 with Acrobat 5

Mary,

You wrote:

> I've tried to find the previous discussion, but my computer keeps locking
> up. What's the short version of why you shouldn't save to PDF?

My message from July 23 is pasted below. Problems with inconsistent
layout are common when using Save as PDF where a non-PostScript printer
is the default printer driver. To see the problem on your Windows system,
you can visit hp.com and download a printer driver such as the HP2200
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=28868&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=28861&prodTypeId=18972
and then test impact on line breaks when switching between the
Distiller printer driver and the HP non-PostScript printer
(a link to a sample file is in my message, but the problem is likely to
appear with other fonts -- regardless of "printer-resident fonts").

Notice that Distiller 6.0.x does not display warnings relating to
missing internal named destinations, this is done only by earlier
Distiller versions. [The use of a PDF Link Checker is recommended
in all cases, with or without the Save as PDF function].

Major errors which even prevent the creation of PDF are not
brought to your attention when using "Save as PDF" -- you will
simply find sometime later that this PDF is missing.
To reproduce such a critical error, add a "message openfile xyz.txt"
hypertext marker and have "Tagged PDF" turned on.
This applies to FM6.0, FM7.0 (and I would be surprised if it does
not apply to FM7.1).

With many PDFs you see on the web or coupled with products, you
cannot avoid the impression that the PDFs were not really inspected
(or even opened) after being created [unfortunately, several of
Adobe's PDFs included with FrameMaker 6/7 are in this category] --
so it may be the case that layout problems are common but not
identified.

Shlomo