Re: UGH--Acrobat 6 sets Arial and TNR to "Never Embed" by default????

In reality, a number of changes were made in Acrobat 6 in
settings based on my recommendations, just not enough!

The good news is that for the Windows PostScript driver
settings for the "Adobe PDF" driver instance, the Acrobat 6
made changes to match the majority (although not all) of my
recommendations. The only changes NOT made were for use of
"pure binary" and the default resolution (I recommend 600
instead of the default 1200 to get around a Windows bug
associated with turning text into outlines and a FrameMaker
bug associated with larger page sizes not printing at high
resolution settings) as well as whether distillation starts
before or after all spooling is completed.

The bad news is that I strongly disagree with some of the
default joboptions. The rationale for what you saw was that
a very large population of end-users want very small PDF files
and that most are also on Windows on which the "never embed"
fonts are allegedly always present. My personal philosophy is
to prudently create ONE "view and print anywhere and everywhere"
high quality PDF file, albeit a bit bulkier in size. That requires
embedding all fonts and explicitly failing if any font fails to
embed!

        - Dov